Langsung ke konten utama

Nutella Banana Bread




This is a recipe which I have had printed out and in my "To Bake Someday" folder, for about two years now.  It is a recipe I found on a little blog called Chef In Training, and I remember it looking really, really tasty.  I often spy things on the net which catch my eye, and I think  I would like to try baking sometime.  I print them out and stick them in a file . . .  and sometimes . . .  I actually DO get around to baking them!


I had bought a HUGE jar of Nutella a few months back.  What was I thinking???   There is no way I could ever hope to use it all up, unless I use it for extra things like baking.   It tastes really good spread onto malt biscuits . . . but that would be an awful lot of Malt Biscuits . . . it's a 750g jar! (That's over a pound in weight!)


So the other day I dug through my recipes and pulled out this banana bread recipe to try out.  It worked out well because I also had a bunch of brown bananas that I had bought before Christmas that just didn't get eaten . . . there is nothing better to do with brown bananas than to bake a banana bread!


My bread didn't come out of the oven near as tasty looking as Chef In Trainings did . . . it actually looked rather ugly and I did have to add about 15 minutes time to the baking . . . but wow, cut it open and it more than makes up for it's ugly surface. 



That's kind of like people don't you think???  Some of the prettiest ones are the ones who aren't much to look at on the outsides . . . but dig a bit deeper and you've found a gem!  Anyways, it was rather, RATHER tasty sliced and eaten plain . . . but then again, we quite, QUITE like it sliced and spread with softened butter because . . . that's just how we roll around here.


*Nutella Banana Bread*
Makes one medium loaf



Your favorite bread swirled with your favorite spread.  What's not to like about this one? 


280g plain flour (2 cups)
3/4 tsp bicarbonate of soda
1/2 tsp salt
4 TBS unsalted butter, softened
190g caster sugar (1 cup)
2 large free range eggs
287g of mashed bananas (1 1/4 cups)
1 tsp vanilla paste
80ml of whole milk (1/3 cup)
145g of nutella (heaped 3/4 cup) 


Preheat the oven to 180*C/350*F/ gas mark 5.  Butter an 8 by 4 inch loaf tin and line with baking paper.  Butter the paper.  Set aside 


Whisk the flour, soda and salt together in a beaker.  Set aside. 


Cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy.  Beat in the eggs, one at a time, until thoroughly amalgamated.  Beat in the bananas, milk and vanilla.   Stir in the flour mixture just to moisten.   


Soften the nutella in the microwave for about 20 seconds.   Stir in 1/3 of the batter until well blended. 


Alternate the banana and nutella batters in the prepared baking tin.  Swirl together with a chopstick or knife.   Bake for 50 to 60 minutes until well risen and done.  It may seem a bit underdone in the centre, but that's how it should be.  Allow to cool at least 15 minutes in the pan before tipping out onto a wire rack to finish cooling completely. 



In for a penny, in for  pound I guess.  Yum!  This is very good.  Bon Appetit and a very Happy New Year! 





Komentar

Postingan populer dari blog ini

Butter, Herb & Garlic Basted Steaks

  Its our 18th Wedding Anniversary on Sunday coming up.  Its hard to believe that we have already been married for that long.  My last marriage lasted for 22 years and that time seems to have taken so much longer to pass.  Those were the years I spent raising a family, so maybe that partially accounts for the time seeming longer.  These past 18 years seem to have flown by at the speed of light!    A special occasion such as an anniversary calls for a special meal and so I picked up these steaks at the shops a week or so back to do a test in preparation for our anniversary dinner. We don't eat a lot of red meat in our home, but we do enjoy a good steak every now and then.    In fact if it weren't for that fact, I could probably happily be a vegetarian, but  . . .  a good steak would always be calling my name, or a slice of prime rib . . .  or a fillet Mignon . . .    I used rib eye steaks.  Each about 1 inch in th...

Roasted Garlic & Herb Chicken with Melting Potatoes

   My latest article is now live on Chef Knives Expert.  You are going to really love this Roasted  Garlic & Herb Chicken with Melting Potatoes Recipe.  Not only does it all cook in one dish but it is fabulously tasty!   A whole free range, corn fed organic chicken, rubbed with butter and stuffed with butter, garlic and herbs is roasted on top of a flavourful bed of potatoes, garlic, stock and white wine  . . .   until the chicken is crisp skinned and succulent and the potatoes are meltingly tender.  So delicious!   You can go HERE for the recipe!  Tell them I sent you!  Roast chicken never tasted so good! 

Oven Fried Chicken with Chive & Buttermilk Mash

  Yes, you read that right . . .  OVEN Fried Chicken.  The eagle has landed and my oven is now up to scratch!  It took them long enough, right?  Not complaining, I am just happy its working again. I love my stove, and am not keen to start over with one I'm not familiar with.      My Canon and I are familiar friends . . .  partners in crime . . . we know each other well and are happy to keep it that way!  To celebrate it being up and running again, I thought I would make one of Todd's favourite dinners, Oven Fried Chicken  . . . . along with Chive & Buttermilk Mash!    He loves his mash.  He is a real mashed potato fiend and will eat them any way, any how, any time!  They are his preferred form of potato, even over chips! (Not me. I love chips/French fries!)   The chicken is a fairly simple and easy recipe, one which I have been making for years. No, it's probably not any healthier than oil fried chi...