Langsung ke konten utama

Lemon Sauced Salmon Cakes



These salmon cakes are one of our absolute favourite suppers.  They are very quick and simple to make and don't use anything out of the ordinary. In fact I am betting you have everything in your larder and refrigerator to make these for your tea tonight!


These crisp tender little salmon cakes are made using tinned salmon. You could also use leftover poached salmon as well if you wanted to.  But the tinned salmon is very convenient.  I always keep several tins of the boneless skinless salmon in the cupboard to use for things like these cakes.



I use minced red onion in mine, (for a bit of colour), but you can just as easily use plain brown onions or even spring onions, which also add a bit of colour.  Other than that, you need nothing more than a bit of cornmeal, some flour, eggs and cream. I use no-fat evaporated milk instead of the myself. It helps to save on fat and calories, which works very well, but if you aren't bothered those things, go ahead and use the cream!


I have cut down on some of the fat for frying them as well.  The only way to get that crisp exterior is to fry them, baking doesn't cut it.  But with only a tsp each of butter and olive oil, its not too bad altogether.


The lemon sauce is luxurious.  No two ways about it.  With butter, flour, lemon juice, water and a bit of seasoning and some sugar, it is exellent spooned over the cakes.  The sauce is so flavourful that a little bit goes a very long way.


These salmon cakes are crisp and flavourful . . .  the sauce rich and luxurious . . .  the two together are quite heavenly.


They go very well with steamed new potatoes and a green vegetable.  If you didn't want to make the lemon sauce, you could also make  creamed peas to spoon over the cakes.  I can promise you thugh, however you choose to make them, you are sure to enjoy!  Who says delicious needs to be complicated!


*Salmon Cakes with a Lemon Butter Sauce*
Serves 4 

These are delicious and very easy to make.   


For the salmon cakes:
2 large free range eggs
60ml of heavy cream (1/4 cup)
45g of cornmeal (1/4 cup)
4 TBS minced red onions
2 TBS plain flour
1/4 tsp baking powder
pinch black pepper
1/2 tsp salt
1 large can of salmon, drained, skinned and boned or two smaller ones
(I buy the boneless, skinless salmon.  It comes in a 125g (6-oz) tin.  I use two of those)
1 tsp each butter and olive oil for cooking
For the Sauce:
the juice of one large lemon
120ml of cold water (1 cup)
65g butter (1/4 cup)
1 1/2 TBS plain flour
1 TBS sugar
fine sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste



First make the Sauce.  Whisk together the lemon juice and water.  Melt the butter in a saucepan.  Whisk in the flour and sugar.  Cook, stirring for about a minute.  Slowly whisk in the water/lemon mixture.  Cook and stir over medium heat until the mixture boiled and thickens.   Season with some salt and pepper to taste.  Taste and adjust sweetness if necessary.  Keep warm.

To make the Salmon Cakes, beat the eggs.  Beat in the cream, cornmeal, minced onions, flour, baking powder, salt and pepper.  Flake the salmon into the mixture.  heat the butter and oil in a large non-stick skillet, over medium heat.  Once heated, shape heaped dessertspoons of the salmon mixture into a ball and then flatten out.  Place into the hot fat. Cook for about five minutes per side, until golden brown.

Serve the warm salmon cakes with the lemon sauce for spooning over top.  Delicious!


Its also very easy to cut the quantities for the salmon cakes in half to serve fewer people. I do it all the time, as there are only two of us.  I have never cut the sauce recipe in half, but I dare say it wouldn't be that difficult to do so.  In any case you are sure to enjoy!  Fish for Friday, Bon Appetit! 




Komentar

Postingan populer dari blog ini

Butter, Herb & Garlic Basted Steaks

  Its our 18th Wedding Anniversary on Sunday coming up.  Its hard to believe that we have already been married for that long.  My last marriage lasted for 22 years and that time seems to have taken so much longer to pass.  Those were the years I spent raising a family, so maybe that partially accounts for the time seeming longer.  These past 18 years seem to have flown by at the speed of light!    A special occasion such as an anniversary calls for a special meal and so I picked up these steaks at the shops a week or so back to do a test in preparation for our anniversary dinner. We don't eat a lot of red meat in our home, but we do enjoy a good steak every now and then.    In fact if it weren't for that fact, I could probably happily be a vegetarian, but  . . .  a good steak would always be calling my name, or a slice of prime rib . . .  or a fillet Mignon . . .    I used rib eye steaks.  Each about 1 inch in th...

Roasted Garlic & Herb Chicken with Melting Potatoes

   My latest article is now live on Chef Knives Expert.  You are going to really love this Roasted  Garlic & Herb Chicken with Melting Potatoes Recipe.  Not only does it all cook in one dish but it is fabulously tasty!   A whole free range, corn fed organic chicken, rubbed with butter and stuffed with butter, garlic and herbs is roasted on top of a flavourful bed of potatoes, garlic, stock and white wine  . . .   until the chicken is crisp skinned and succulent and the potatoes are meltingly tender.  So delicious!   You can go HERE for the recipe!  Tell them I sent you!  Roast chicken never tasted so good! 

Oven Fried Chicken with Chive & Buttermilk Mash

  Yes, you read that right . . .  OVEN Fried Chicken.  The eagle has landed and my oven is now up to scratch!  It took them long enough, right?  Not complaining, I am just happy its working again. I love my stove, and am not keen to start over with one I'm not familiar with.      My Canon and I are familiar friends . . .  partners in crime . . . we know each other well and are happy to keep it that way!  To celebrate it being up and running again, I thought I would make one of Todd's favourite dinners, Oven Fried Chicken  . . . . along with Chive & Buttermilk Mash!    He loves his mash.  He is a real mashed potato fiend and will eat them any way, any how, any time!  They are his preferred form of potato, even over chips! (Not me. I love chips/French fries!)   The chicken is a fairly simple and easy recipe, one which I have been making for years. No, it's probably not any healthier than oil fried chi...