Langsung ke konten utama

Cherry Croissants



Did you every have one of those days?    By that I mean a day where everything you touch turns to doodoo.  You spend all day working really hard, but at the end of it you got nothing to show for it.  Days where you float from one disaster right on into another.  Yep, having one of those horrible rotten days where everything I touch turns to dust.



First I had in mind to make some cheesy potato waffles using mashed potato flakes. I could picture them in my mind. Oh but they were going to be beautiful . . .  crisp and golden . . .  and I was going to serve them with bacon curls, roasted tomatoes and some fried eggs . . . 



First I couldn't get the batter the right consistency for the waffle maker, and the cheese kept getting stuck in the holes.  Then I burnt the bacon. At that point I gave up on them and the batter got washed down the toilet. (Don't judge me.)


I cleaned up the waffle iron and then I thought . . . hmmm . . .  lemon and poppyseed waffles with a black currant syrup and some ice cream . . .  

Failed . . .  again.  I'm batting for zero here.  Its just one of those days.  I gave up.  I have no idea what I am going to make us for our supper.  We will probably have beans on toast . . .  coz its a beans on toast kind of  a day . . .  we all have em.



In the meantime I rustled up these Cherry Croissants for Todd to help keep his hungry dragons at bay.  I am so busy working on the next book (I want it finished by the end of this month) and I have an art comission nipping at my heels.  There is no rest for the wicked. My mother was right.



These are a total doddle.  If I had messed these up, then there would have been no hope for me at all . . . seriously. You can't mess them up, even if you ARE having a day from the pits of . . . .  hello, what are you doing down here!!!


They only take a few ingredients.  A tin of croissant roll dough. Ours is a bit different over here in the UK.  It is more like Croissants, and there are only six in a tin.  I know that the American ones are not the same, but they will work also. You will just get more of them.


A tin of cherry pie filling. I used Black Cherry Pie Filling. I have never seen the really red one here . . .  just the black one.


Some icing sugar and milk for the glaze. I add a drop of almond essence because cherries and almonds go very well together.


That's it . . .  put together in a certain way,simply baked in a hot oven . . . and you have redeemed a lost, horrible, no good, rotten day. These are good.  Todd loves them.




*Cherry Croissants*
Makes 6
Printable Recipe 
 
Individual cherry pies, baked in a muffin tin. Easy peasy lemon squeasy.

1 can refrigerated Croissants
1 tin (410g) cherry pie filling (21 ounce tin)
65g icing sugar, sifted (1/2 cup)
drop almond extract
1 TBS milk 



Preheat the oven to 190*C/375*F/ gas mark 5. Spray a 6 cup muffin tin with non-stick cooking spray and set aside.  


Open the croissant dough and separate into triangles. Place one triangle into each cup. Fill with Cherry Pie filling, then fold the ends over top to cover.  Bake in the preheated oven for 15 minutes, until golden brown.  Let sit in the pan for a few minutes before lifing out to a wire rack to cool completely.


Whisk together the icing sugar, amond extract and enough milk to make a drizzle icing.  Drizzle over the cooled pies.  Let set, then serve.


Note - Any extra pie filling can be passed at the table if you have any.



One more thing today  . . .  the sun was shining and so I thought, I'll do the wash and get it out.  Did that and within minutes it started to rain.  Blah  . . . with the exception of these Cherry Croissants, I really can't win here.  I don't know that I dare try anything else! Tomorrow is a new day!  Bon Appetit!


Komentar

Postingan populer dari blog ini

Easy Almond Croissants

  When we lived down in the South East of the country we sometimes took ourselves over to France for a day out.  We were not all that far from the ferry back then, and it was an easy jaunt and a pleasant trip over on the Ferry. You could be sitting in Boulogne enjoying a hot drink and a plate of Frites in only a few hours, even faster if you took the car train through the tunnel.   I preferred the ferry over the train for several reasons.  For one, you could get out of your car and stretch your legs.  For two, you could spend the journey in their comfy lounge enjoying a drink and one of their fresh almond croissants.    Oh boy  . . .  one of the things that the French do very well, aside from their beautiful breads and macrons  . . .  is croissants and my favourite of all are the almond ones.  They are quite, quite, QUITE delicious to say the least!   It has always been my dream to spend a week in Paris, in the Spring time when everything is bursting out in bloom, and it is neither too

Canadian Dutchies

Tim Hortons is a bit of a Canadian Institution.  It is a coffee/doughnut shop that  feels like a second home to many Canadians.  I worked there for a time prior to moving over here to the UK.      When I worked there, they would have a baker come in every night and he would work from 10:00 pm until about 6 in the morning baking cakes, frying doughnuts, baking pies, etc.  When you went into work in the morning there would be trays and trays of the freshly finished goodies sitting and waiting to go out onto the shelves.   I understand that they don't have in-store bakers these days, and that all the goods are brought in baked and frozen, ready to thaw out and pop onto the shelves.  Its called progress, but I understand that their goodies are not as nice as they used to be, or so I have been told.    I can't help but think that in losing the personal touch, in favour of more profits, they have lost something very special  . . . it is a common complaint today.      One of my favour

Maple & Cranberry Baked Apples

   Baked Apples one of the comfort foods we like to enjoy in the Winter months.  Apples are plentiful and at their best. We don't mind having the oven on, and they are delicious and very easy to do.   I had recently gotten some fabulous Organic Dried Cranberries and Ceylon Cinnamon Sticks from Buy Wholefoods Online and I felt they would be perfect for using in this simple and easy dessert. If you are not familiar with Buy Whole Foods Online you really need to look them up. I buy all of my dried fruit from them every year for my Christmas Cakes, and other bits and bobs throughout the year. Buy Whole Foods Online is an international health food supplier, based in Minster, Ramsgate, North East Kent. They deliver top quality natural and organic wholefoods, and related healthy living products, directly to homes and businesses across the UK and Europe. I have always been very happy with both their products and their service.   Baked apples make for a lovely breakfast treat or a dessert