Langsung ke konten utama

Raspberry Almond Breakfast Cake


I am sure that this recipe I am sharing today is nothing new to you. I have been baking it for years and I am pretty sure you have too.  Its just so good that I felt that I needed to share it with you, just in case there are some of you that have not heard of it or baked it.   I adore breakfast cakes!  I mean, Cake for breakfast???  What's not to like about that!


And this is a most amazing breakfast cake. Some might call it a coffee cake, but over here in the UK a coffee cake is a cake flavoured with coffee and I didn't want any confusion, so although  those of you who are visiting from North America might see this as a coffee cake, here in the UK, it would be a breakfast cake.  A cake that you would enjoy for breakfast or brunch with a hot drink or cuppa as those are often called. 

Are you confused yet? I hope not!



This is truly a lovely cake with a cake type of bottom, flavoured with almond and vanilla and enriched with sour cream, which not only makes for an incredibly moist cake, but also rich with both white and brown sugars.  In short, dense, beautiful and delicious! 



Prior to baking you pour a cheesecake filling over the cake batter . . .  cheesecake . . .  if you are like me you love cheese cake.


Over the cheesecake layer goes a raspberry layer composed of fresh raspberries, sugar and raspberry preserves blitzed together until smooth.  This is a bit different than some I have seen out there, which use only the jam.  I like the difference that the use of actual fruit makes.  Its jammy, but fresh and not too sweet, almost sweet/tart.


Over the raspberry layer you sprinkle a streusel layer  and top that with some flaked almonds.  Once the cake is baked it turns into a buttery crisp nutty topping that is just so scrumptiously delicious!


The cake bakes beautifully into four distinct layers, that somehow meld together, whilst remaining separate and holding down their own identities masterfully! 



The flavour combinations in your mouth are amazing  . . .  buttery dense cake, creamy rich cheesecake, sweet/tart raspberries and a buttery crisp, flaky crumbly almost shortbread almond layer.  WOWSA!


I had not made this in a very long time and when I had baked it the other day I remembered why.  Its dangerous!  That's why. You just can't leave it alone.  You will find yourself thinking about it as you lay in bed at night tempting you to pop downstairs to cut yourself a tiny sliver . . . because you can't stop thinking about it!


*Raspberry Almond Breakfast Cake*
Serves 9 to 10
 

A sweet breakfast cake with a lovely almond flavoured batter, topped with a cream cheese filling, raspberry puree, sweet streusel and flaked almonds.  Break out the coffee pot! 


For the cake layer:
280g plain flour (2 cups)
45g  caster sugar (1/4 cup)
50g soft light brown sugar (1/2 cup, packed)
2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp bicarbonate of soda
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 tsp almond extract
75g butter, melted (1/3 cup)
1 large free range egg
156ml milk (2/3 cup)
60g sour cream (1/2 cup)
 
For the cream cheese layer:
45g caster sugar (1/4 cup)
225g cream cheese (8 ounces)
1 tsp vanilla
1 large free range egg

For the raspberry layer:
225g fresh raspberries
2 TBS sugar
2 TBS raspberry preserves

For the streusel:
140g plain flour (1 cup)
135g sugar (3/4 cup)
6 TBS cold butter
60g flaked almonds (1/3 cup) 





Preheat the oven to 190*C/375*F/ gas mark 6.  Butter a 9-inch square deep baking tin, or a deep 10-inch round cake tin, or completely line with baking paper.

Make the raspberry layer by pulsing the berries, sugar and preserves in a small processor until smooth.  Set aside.

Make the cream cheese layer by beating the cream cheese, sugar, vanilla and egg together until smooth and creamy.  Set aside.

Make the streusel by combining the sugar together with the flour and rubbing in the butter until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Reserve the almonds for sprinkling on top just prior to baking.

Whisk the flour, both sugars, baking powder, salt and bicarbonate of soda together in a bowl. Whisk together the egg, milk extracts and melted butter.  Make a well in the centre of the dry ingredients and add the wet. Combine all together just to mix.  Fold in the sour cream until just combined.  Spread into the baking tin. Spread the cream cheese mixture over top of the cake batter. Pour the raspberry filling over that.  Sprinkle the streusel evenly over the raspberry filling and sprinkle the flaked almonds on top.

Bake in the preheated oven for 45 to 50 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the centre comes out clean.  Cool completely before serving.



Trust me when I say that this is worth heating up the kitchen a little bit fore!  Its amazing, or what is it they say now?  Amaze-balls!   I am sure a dollop of whipped cream or clotted cream would go very nicely on top.  Just sayin'  Bon Appetit! 



Komentar

Postingan populer dari blog ini

Butter, Herb & Garlic Basted Steaks

  Its our 18th Wedding Anniversary on Sunday coming up.  Its hard to believe that we have already been married for that long.  My last marriage lasted for 22 years and that time seems to have taken so much longer to pass.  Those were the years I spent raising a family, so maybe that partially accounts for the time seeming longer.  These past 18 years seem to have flown by at the speed of light!    A special occasion such as an anniversary calls for a special meal and so I picked up these steaks at the shops a week or so back to do a test in preparation for our anniversary dinner. We don't eat a lot of red meat in our home, but we do enjoy a good steak every now and then.    In fact if it weren't for that fact, I could probably happily be a vegetarian, but  . . .  a good steak would always be calling my name, or a slice of prime rib . . .  or a fillet Mignon . . .    I used rib eye steaks.  Each about 1 inch in th...

Roasted Garlic & Herb Chicken with Melting Potatoes

   My latest article is now live on Chef Knives Expert.  You are going to really love this Roasted  Garlic & Herb Chicken with Melting Potatoes Recipe.  Not only does it all cook in one dish but it is fabulously tasty!   A whole free range, corn fed organic chicken, rubbed with butter and stuffed with butter, garlic and herbs is roasted on top of a flavourful bed of potatoes, garlic, stock and white wine  . . .   until the chicken is crisp skinned and succulent and the potatoes are meltingly tender.  So delicious!   You can go HERE for the recipe!  Tell them I sent you!  Roast chicken never tasted so good! 

Oven Fried Chicken with Chive & Buttermilk Mash

  Yes, you read that right . . .  OVEN Fried Chicken.  The eagle has landed and my oven is now up to scratch!  It took them long enough, right?  Not complaining, I am just happy its working again. I love my stove, and am not keen to start over with one I'm not familiar with.      My Canon and I are familiar friends . . .  partners in crime . . . we know each other well and are happy to keep it that way!  To celebrate it being up and running again, I thought I would make one of Todd's favourite dinners, Oven Fried Chicken  . . . . along with Chive & Buttermilk Mash!    He loves his mash.  He is a real mashed potato fiend and will eat them any way, any how, any time!  They are his preferred form of potato, even over chips! (Not me. I love chips/French fries!)   The chicken is a fairly simple and easy recipe, one which I have been making for years. No, it's probably not any healthier than oil fried chi...