Langsung ke konten utama

Spicy Fish finger Sandwiches


I had in mind the other day to make some Fish Finger Tacos.  I got everything ready to go and realised I didn't have any flour tortillas, and so I did what every capable cook does, I improvised.  I had some finger buns in the house and so I turned them into sandwiches instead, with most excellent results!!  We both really enjoyed these and they made a change from our regular fish finger sandwiches, The World's Best Fish Finger Buttie!


We liked them every bit as much which is saying a lot, as my other ones are plenty delicious, let me tell you!


I like to use Cod fish fingers, made from sustainable cod.  I also like to use the larger ones versus the smaller ones as you get more cod per finger and less breading/coating.  You also don't get as many in a pack, but that's okay with us. If you would rather use the smaller ones, then by all means do so! 



I popped them onto a baking sheet and sprinkled them with taco seasoning to give them a bit of a spark.  This works great for anything like that which you want to add extra flavour to.  Just sprinkle on your favourite seasoning mix . . .  for tacos, (and these sandwiches) I used taco seasoning. You can make your own, or use a purchased mix. 



I had made a spicy coleslaw for use in the tacos, so I thought, why not use it in a sandwich?  I use coleslaw in my Crispy Chicken Sandwiches, and my BBQ Chicken Sandwiches, so why not here! Coleslaw on a sandwich is a very good thing!


This coleslaw is flavoured with a spicy mayo . . .  this is where some of that taco seasoning comes in handy again. I also added lime juice and zest for a bit of a punch/tartness.  YUM! 



I also added some spicy guacamole.  You could use already made, but its very easy to make a simple one yourself by mashing together some garlic, avocado pear, chopped tomato and some more of that lime juice.


Once the fish fingers are done, I sprinkled them with some grated cheese and popped them back into the oven briefly to melt the cheese while I toasted the buns on the cut edges. 



I piled the coleslaw and guacamole onto the toasted buns and then topped them with the cheese coated spicy fish fingers.


These were fabulous!!  We both really enjoyed them a lot.  I was really happy that didn't let myself become daunted by not having any tortillas to fly with my original idea, and Todd was happy that I didn't make him go to the store to get some. (In all truth, I have pretty much given up on sending him to the store for anything but simple things like milk and bread. He always comes back with the wrong thing. No lie.)


We couldn't wait to tuck in and we were not disappointed in the least.  Each mouthful was more delicious than the last.  I found myself wishing I had made a few more.  (I only made two. I do that a lot because there are only two of us.)


I think we both could very easily have enjoyed a second helping of one of these tasty sandwiches!


You could of course serve some potato chips or tortilla chips on the side with dips, and you could spoon salsa on top of these sandwiches if you were so inclined.  We were happy with them just as they were, and I think you will be too!


*Spicy Fish Finger Sandwiches*
Serves 4


Quick, easy and delicious. You won't use the whole envelope of taco seasoning, but don't worry about it. You can clip it shut and use it again another time. 


8 thick cod fish fingers
1 envelope of taco seasoning mix
4 TBS mayonnaise
the zest and juice of one lime, divided
1/2 small cabbage, trimmed, cored and hand shredded
1 large carrot, peeled and grated
1/2 red onion, peeled and very thinly sliced
1 avocado, peeled, and pitted
1 clove garlic, peeled and crushed
2 tomatoes, de-seeded and diced
4 large bread rolls
8 TBS grated strong cheddar cheese



Preheat your oven according to the package directions for the fish fingers.  Sprinkle each fish finger with a small amount of taco seasoning and place onto a baking sheet. Pop into the preheated oven and bake according to the package directions. 

While the fish fingers are baking make the coleslaw and guacamole.  To make the coleslaw, mix together the mayonnaise with 2 TBS of the taco seasoning mix and half of the juice and lime zest.  To make the guacamole, mash the avocado roughly, adding a pinch of salt and the crushed garlic.  Stir in the tomatoes and remaining lime zest and juice. (you can also add some chopped fresh coriander if you have it, about 1 TBS of it.)

Split the bread rolls and toast lightly under a hot grill or broiler.  When the fish fingers are done sprinkle some cheese on top of each and then pop the tray back in the oven for a few minutes to melt the cheese.

Divide the coleslaw evenly amongst the toasted bread rolls.  Divide the guacamole amongst the bread rolls as well. Top each with two fish fingers and serve immediately!



Fish fingers are one of those things I always have in my freezer. They come in really handy for things like this, for last minute impromptu meals when you just can't be asked to cook, and children really love them.  We happen to love them too. (Don't judge me, lol)  Something new for Fish Friday??? Why not!  Bon Appetit! 



Komentar

Postingan populer dari blog ini

Butter, Herb & Garlic Basted Steaks

  Its our 18th Wedding Anniversary on Sunday coming up.  Its hard to believe that we have already been married for that long.  My last marriage lasted for 22 years and that time seems to have taken so much longer to pass.  Those were the years I spent raising a family, so maybe that partially accounts for the time seeming longer.  These past 18 years seem to have flown by at the speed of light!    A special occasion such as an anniversary calls for a special meal and so I picked up these steaks at the shops a week or so back to do a test in preparation for our anniversary dinner. We don't eat a lot of red meat in our home, but we do enjoy a good steak every now and then.    In fact if it weren't for that fact, I could probably happily be a vegetarian, but  . . .  a good steak would always be calling my name, or a slice of prime rib . . .  or a fillet Mignon . . .    I used rib eye steaks.  Each about 1 inch in th...

Roasted Garlic & Herb Chicken with Melting Potatoes

   My latest article is now live on Chef Knives Expert.  You are going to really love this Roasted  Garlic & Herb Chicken with Melting Potatoes Recipe.  Not only does it all cook in one dish but it is fabulously tasty!   A whole free range, corn fed organic chicken, rubbed with butter and stuffed with butter, garlic and herbs is roasted on top of a flavourful bed of potatoes, garlic, stock and white wine  . . .   until the chicken is crisp skinned and succulent and the potatoes are meltingly tender.  So delicious!   You can go HERE for the recipe!  Tell them I sent you!  Roast chicken never tasted so good! 

Oven Fried Chicken with Chive & Buttermilk Mash

  Yes, you read that right . . .  OVEN Fried Chicken.  The eagle has landed and my oven is now up to scratch!  It took them long enough, right?  Not complaining, I am just happy its working again. I love my stove, and am not keen to start over with one I'm not familiar with.      My Canon and I are familiar friends . . .  partners in crime . . . we know each other well and are happy to keep it that way!  To celebrate it being up and running again, I thought I would make one of Todd's favourite dinners, Oven Fried Chicken  . . . . along with Chive & Buttermilk Mash!    He loves his mash.  He is a real mashed potato fiend and will eat them any way, any how, any time!  They are his preferred form of potato, even over chips! (Not me. I love chips/French fries!)   The chicken is a fairly simple and easy recipe, one which I have been making for years. No, it's probably not any healthier than oil fried chi...