Langsung ke konten utama

A Vintage Christmas


Growing up in the 1950's and 60's I had a most wonderful childhood.  Christmas was an especially wonderful time of year for me, filled with abundance . . .  faith, love, family . . . it truly was a season of light.

We didn't get a lot of treats the rest of the year, with perhaps the exception of Easter, along with the occasional pie or birthday cake . . .  but at Christmas my mom would pull out the stops and our family kitchen was filled with lovely smells and tastes.  Some of those special bakes came from a Robin Hood Baking Leaflet.  All of the flour companies used to put out special baking leaflets at Christmas time.  You could pick them up free at the grocery stores, or in magazines, etc.

This little booklet is filled with the Christmas flavours of my childhood.   


I wanted to give you all something special for Christmas, something I thought you would use and so I scanned the whole booklet and it is my gift to you.  It is filled with lovelies such as Holiday Gems, Lemon Glaces, Christmas Shortbreads, Melting Moments, etc., a whole variety of Christmas cookies, yeast breads, quick breads, cakes, pastries, doughnuts and pies to help to make your Christmas holidays the best ever.



Just click on the link below and it will take you to a PDF file which contains the whole booket, which you can download and keep for yourself. Just click the three words below and it will take you to the right spot to get it for free.




Yield: makes 1 loaf

Candied Fruit Bread

prep time: 30 minscook time: 1 hourtotal time: 1 hours and 30 mins
A very Christmassy Quick Bread!

ingredients:

245g plain flour (1 3/4 cups)
4 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
135g granulated sugar (3/4 cup)
40g chopped citron (1/4 cup)
40g raisins (1/4 cup)
2 TBS chopped candied cherries
2 TBS chopped candied lemon peel
30g chopped pecans (1/4 cup)
30g chopped blanched almonds (1/4 cup)
240ml milk (1 cup)
2 eggs, well beaten
3 TBS butter melted

instructions:


Preheat the oven to 190*C/375*F/ gas mark 5.  Butter an 8 by 5 by 3 inch loaf tin thoroughly.  Line with paper. (optional)

Sift
 the flour into a bowl along with the baking powder, salt and cinnamon.
 Stir in the sugar.  Stir in the citron, raisins, candied fruit, and
nuts.  Whisk together the milk, eggs nd butter.  Add to the dry
ingredients and stir together just to blend.  Turn into the prepared
loaf tin. Let stand for 20 minutes.

Bake in
 the preheated oven for 1 hour on the middle of the centre rack.  Turn
out onto a wire  rack to cool and let stand for several hours prior to
slicing.
Created using The Recipes Generator

  

A little gift from me to you which comes along with a hearty Merry Christmas and thanks for visiting me all the year through!  Happy Holidays! 



Komentar

Postingan populer dari blog ini

Butter, Herb & Garlic Basted Steaks

  Its our 18th Wedding Anniversary on Sunday coming up.  Its hard to believe that we have already been married for that long.  My last marriage lasted for 22 years and that time seems to have taken so much longer to pass.  Those were the years I spent raising a family, so maybe that partially accounts for the time seeming longer.  These past 18 years seem to have flown by at the speed of light!    A special occasion such as an anniversary calls for a special meal and so I picked up these steaks at the shops a week or so back to do a test in preparation for our anniversary dinner. We don't eat a lot of red meat in our home, but we do enjoy a good steak every now and then.    In fact if it weren't for that fact, I could probably happily be a vegetarian, but  . . .  a good steak would always be calling my name, or a slice of prime rib . . .  or a fillet Mignon . . .    I used rib eye steaks.  Each about 1 inch in th...

Roasted Garlic & Herb Chicken with Melting Potatoes

   My latest article is now live on Chef Knives Expert.  You are going to really love this Roasted  Garlic & Herb Chicken with Melting Potatoes Recipe.  Not only does it all cook in one dish but it is fabulously tasty!   A whole free range, corn fed organic chicken, rubbed with butter and stuffed with butter, garlic and herbs is roasted on top of a flavourful bed of potatoes, garlic, stock and white wine  . . .   until the chicken is crisp skinned and succulent and the potatoes are meltingly tender.  So delicious!   You can go HERE for the recipe!  Tell them I sent you!  Roast chicken never tasted so good! 

Oven Fried Chicken with Chive & Buttermilk Mash

  Yes, you read that right . . .  OVEN Fried Chicken.  The eagle has landed and my oven is now up to scratch!  It took them long enough, right?  Not complaining, I am just happy its working again. I love my stove, and am not keen to start over with one I'm not familiar with.      My Canon and I are familiar friends . . .  partners in crime . . . we know each other well and are happy to keep it that way!  To celebrate it being up and running again, I thought I would make one of Todd's favourite dinners, Oven Fried Chicken  . . . . along with Chive & Buttermilk Mash!    He loves his mash.  He is a real mashed potato fiend and will eat them any way, any how, any time!  They are his preferred form of potato, even over chips! (Not me. I love chips/French fries!)   The chicken is a fairly simple and easy recipe, one which I have been making for years. No, it's probably not any healthier than oil fried chi...