Langsung ke konten utama

Toasted Cheese Rounds


Its hard to believe that here we are on the last day of 2018!  I wonder what the new year will bring to each of us.  Good things I hope.  I know I have a new book coming out shortly.  This one is about half the size of the last one, but I have had nothing but good reports on it, so I am hopeful that it will also be a success, fingers crossed!



So that is one good thing to look forward to, on my part at least.  I try always to look at each new year as an opportunity.  I am not one much for making resolutions and such.  If I can end the year having done something good, and being a little bit better than I was the year before, then I call that year a success! 



I have never been one much for going out on New Years Eve.  It was always a bit cost prohibitive for us My parents always went to a dance each year. As children, we would be just as excited to ring in the New Year as they were.  But that was mainly because we knew they would bring us home a party hat and a noise maker to play with the next day.  (We were never allowed to play with them much until the 2nd of January due to headaches and such, lol)



Normally what we did when the children were growing up was to have a finger food buffet and watch a few movies that they enjoyed and then watch Dick Clark's Rocking New Years Eve.  My ex husband always had to work New Years Eve, so the children and I partied all on our own.  We didn't mind.  We enjoyed each others company and some delicious food. It was all good! 



Some favourites I would have made would be Chicken Wings  . . . .
my Smoked Salmon Spread was another favourite.  There would be chips and dips, and pizza rolls, etc.  A veritable finger food feast!




Finger food actually takes longer to make than a meal would.  Its all the picky bits.  I remember when I worked at the Manor, I had to put together a finger food buffet for 200 when their daughter graduated, and that was tons of work.  I was working for days and days to get ready for that one! 



I relied heavily on things that I could make ahead and freeze on trays that I was then able to take out and cook on the day.  Tasty nibbles such as these Toasted Cheese Rounds! 



These are so quick and easy to make, and very easy to make ahead and freeze (if you need to). 


They basically only use three ingredients, four if you count the baguette rounds. 


Grated cheese, mayonnaise and chopped spring onions.  The original recipe called for twice as much mayonnaise, but I have cut it way back and they work fine with half the amount.  I would not use low fat mayo.   You just mix together all the ingredients and then spread the mixture onto French bread rounds and bake.  Easy Peasy! 



The end result are hot, baked, crispy, cheese rounds of deliciousness!  Quick, easy and tasty.  I call these triple winners!

Yield: 40

Toasted Cheese Rounds

prep time: 10 minscook time: 15 minstotal time: 25 mins
A quick, easy and delicious nibble for celebrations and get togethers.

ingredients:


220g good quality mayonnaise (1 cup)
240g grated strong cheddar cheese (2 cups)
60g grated Parmesan cheese (1/3 cup)
1 bunch spring onions, trimmed and minced
40 (1/2 inch thick) slices of baguette bread

instructions:


Preheat
 the oven to 180*C/350*F/ gas mark 4.  Mix the mayonnaise, both cheeses
and the onions together in a bowl, mixing together well.  Spread on one
side of each bread round and place, cheese side up onto baking trays. 
Bake in the preheated oven for 15 minutes, or until bubbling and golden
brown.  Serve immediately.

Note - You
can make ahead and just bake as needed.  You can also freeze these
unbaked in a single layer and pop them into the oven frozen, baking as
above.  They will  take slightly longer to bake.

Created using The Recipes Generator


Oh boy but these are some good.  I even like them cold and leftover the day after, but then again, I am a bit of a Glutton. (Aren't we all to some degree!)  Whatever  . . .  Bon appetit and Happy New Year! 



Komentar

Postingan populer dari blog ini

Easy Almond Croissants

  When we lived down in the South East of the country we sometimes took ourselves over to France for a day out.  We were not all that far from the ferry back then, and it was an easy jaunt and a pleasant trip over on the Ferry. You could be sitting in Boulogne enjoying a hot drink and a plate of Frites in only a few hours, even faster if you took the car train through the tunnel.   I preferred the ferry over the train for several reasons.  For one, you could get out of your car and stretch your legs.  For two, you could spend the journey in their comfy lounge enjoying a drink and one of their fresh almond croissants.    Oh boy  . . .  one of the things that the French do very well, aside from their beautiful breads and macrons  . . .  is croissants and my favourite of all are the almond ones.  They are quite, quite, QUITE delicious to say the least!   It has always been my dream to spend a week in Paris, in the Spring time when everything is bursting out in bloom, and it is neither too

Canadian Dutchies

Tim Hortons is a bit of a Canadian Institution.  It is a coffee/doughnut shop that  feels like a second home to many Canadians.  I worked there for a time prior to moving over here to the UK.      When I worked there, they would have a baker come in every night and he would work from 10:00 pm until about 6 in the morning baking cakes, frying doughnuts, baking pies, etc.  When you went into work in the morning there would be trays and trays of the freshly finished goodies sitting and waiting to go out onto the shelves.   I understand that they don't have in-store bakers these days, and that all the goods are brought in baked and frozen, ready to thaw out and pop onto the shelves.  Its called progress, but I understand that their goodies are not as nice as they used to be, or so I have been told.    I can't help but think that in losing the personal touch, in favour of more profits, they have lost something very special  . . . it is a common complaint today.      One of my favour

Maple & Cranberry Baked Apples

   Baked Apples one of the comfort foods we like to enjoy in the Winter months.  Apples are plentiful and at their best. We don't mind having the oven on, and they are delicious and very easy to do.   I had recently gotten some fabulous Organic Dried Cranberries and Ceylon Cinnamon Sticks from Buy Wholefoods Online and I felt they would be perfect for using in this simple and easy dessert. If you are not familiar with Buy Whole Foods Online you really need to look them up. I buy all of my dried fruit from them every year for my Christmas Cakes, and other bits and bobs throughout the year. Buy Whole Foods Online is an international health food supplier, based in Minster, Ramsgate, North East Kent. They deliver top quality natural and organic wholefoods, and related healthy living products, directly to homes and businesses across the UK and Europe. I have always been very happy with both their products and their service.   Baked apples make for a lovely breakfast treat or a dessert