Langsung ke konten utama

Perfect Blondies


My ex-mother in law Elizabeth made wonderful blondies.  Kind of cakey, with a lovely almost butterscotch flavour and topped with a lovely brown sugar fudge icing.  I just realised this morning that I don't have that recipe on here.  Time to rectify that methinks.  Look for that soon! Its actually a recipe that I was given by my ex when we were teenagers dating.  It is handwritten in his schoolboy writing and he mis-spelled the title . . .  "Camel Squares,"  instead of Caramel Squares.  A part of their charm. 



Not quite a Blondie they are much more cake like.  Every now and then I do feel the urge to indulge in them, or in a Blondie. I've made quite a few Blondies through the year and this is the recipe I finally settled on as being the perfect blondie. 


So what is the perfect Blondie?  I suppose that all depends on who you are asking.  This is what it means to me.  A perfect Blondie is like a brownie  . . .  fudgy and dense . . . 


but not chocolaty like a brownie . . .  it tastes like caramel or toffee . . . from the combination of brown sugar, and vanilla . . . and butter . . .


They can seem almost gooey when first out of the oven, but don't let that fool you . . . once they cool completely, they settle into the perfect slice . . . dense and chewy, almost like your favourite chocolate chip cookie  . . .


You might be tempted to think they aren't cooked, but don't be fooled.  That's the way they are supposed to be.  Dense, chewy and with a complex flavour that is not overly sweet, but sweet all the same.

  
They shouldn't be greasy.  IF they are, then you have used too much butter.  I don't think it matters if you use salted or unsalted.  I use salted and then  only add a pinch of salt, or none to the batter. 



They are also very adaptable to other flavours and additions.  Today I added good semi sweet chocolate chips and chopped candied ginger, which made them almost taste like chocolate covered gingers which Todd really loves.  Just don't be tempted to add too much of any one thing.  Less is definitely more here, and do save a tablespoon or two of your add ins to sprinkle on the top before baking instead of stirring them into the batter. 

Yield: 9

Perfect Blondies

This is the perfect Blondie recipe, yielding perfect blondies every time.  The texture of the best brownie combined with the best aspects of the perfect chocolate chip cookie. What more could you ask for?  (I have included some ideas for variations.)

ingredients:

  • 115g butter, melted (1/2 cup)
  • 200g soft light brown sugar (1 cup, packed)
  • 1 large free range egg, lightly beaten
  • 2 tsp vanilla extract
  • 140g plain flour (1 cup)
  • pinch salt
Optional Additions:
  • 175g semi sweet chocolate chips (1 cup)
  • 130g (3/4 cup) semi sweet chocolate chips plus 55g (1/2 cup) chopped toasted nuts
  • 130g (3/4 cup) white or dark chocolate chips plus 70g (1/2 cup) macadamia nuts
  • 130g (3/4 cup) dark chocolate chunks plus 55g (1/2) cup chopped walnuts
  • 175g (3/4 cup) semi sweet chocolate chips plus 60g (1/4 cup) chopped crystallised ginger
  • 80g (1 cup) shredded coconut plus 175g (1 cup) mixed chocolate chips
  • 115g (2/3 cup) semi sweet chocolate chips plus 110g (2/3 cup) caramel fudge bits
  • 130g (3/4 cup) white chocolate chips plus 40g (1/4 cup) chopped dried cranberries

instructions:

  1. Preheat the oven to 180*C/350*F/ gas mark 4. Butter an 8 inch square baking tin and line with baking paper, leaving some overhand for lifting out the baked squares when done.
  2. Whisk together the butter and brown sugar. Stir in the beaten egg and vanilla. Stir in the flour and salt just to combine. Add any combination of additions of your choice, reserving some for sprinkling on top. Spread in the prepared pan.
  3. Bake in the preheated oven for 25 - 30 minutes. When done they will be light brown around the edges, the top will be glossy and appear set, and toothpick inserted in the centre should come out with a few moist crumbs.
Created using The Recipes Generator



We really enjoyed this combination of semi sweet chocolate and candied ginger that I used in these Blondies today.  I always buy Todd a box of chocolate covered ginger for Christmas which he loves, so these were an extra special treat for him.  I really hope you will give these a go and that you will enjoy them as much as we do!  Happy weekend!



Komentar

Postingan populer dari blog ini

Butter, Herb & Garlic Basted Steaks

  Its our 18th Wedding Anniversary on Sunday coming up.  Its hard to believe that we have already been married for that long.  My last marriage lasted for 22 years and that time seems to have taken so much longer to pass.  Those were the years I spent raising a family, so maybe that partially accounts for the time seeming longer.  These past 18 years seem to have flown by at the speed of light!    A special occasion such as an anniversary calls for a special meal and so I picked up these steaks at the shops a week or so back to do a test in preparation for our anniversary dinner. We don't eat a lot of red meat in our home, but we do enjoy a good steak every now and then.    In fact if it weren't for that fact, I could probably happily be a vegetarian, but  . . .  a good steak would always be calling my name, or a slice of prime rib . . .  or a fillet Mignon . . .    I used rib eye steaks.  Each about 1 inch in th...

Roasted Garlic & Herb Chicken with Melting Potatoes

   My latest article is now live on Chef Knives Expert.  You are going to really love this Roasted  Garlic & Herb Chicken with Melting Potatoes Recipe.  Not only does it all cook in one dish but it is fabulously tasty!   A whole free range, corn fed organic chicken, rubbed with butter and stuffed with butter, garlic and herbs is roasted on top of a flavourful bed of potatoes, garlic, stock and white wine  . . .   until the chicken is crisp skinned and succulent and the potatoes are meltingly tender.  So delicious!   You can go HERE for the recipe!  Tell them I sent you!  Roast chicken never tasted so good! 

Oven Fried Chicken with Chive & Buttermilk Mash

  Yes, you read that right . . .  OVEN Fried Chicken.  The eagle has landed and my oven is now up to scratch!  It took them long enough, right?  Not complaining, I am just happy its working again. I love my stove, and am not keen to start over with one I'm not familiar with.      My Canon and I are familiar friends . . .  partners in crime . . . we know each other well and are happy to keep it that way!  To celebrate it being up and running again, I thought I would make one of Todd's favourite dinners, Oven Fried Chicken  . . . . along with Chive & Buttermilk Mash!    He loves his mash.  He is a real mashed potato fiend and will eat them any way, any how, any time!  They are his preferred form of potato, even over chips! (Not me. I love chips/French fries!)   The chicken is a fairly simple and easy recipe, one which I have been making for years. No, it's probably not any healthier than oil fried chi...