Langsung ke konten utama

Almost Instant Mayonnaise


One thing that I like to make from scratch is mayonnaise.  That's why I was dismayed when my immersion blender disappeared!  Once you have made your own mayo from scratch you  will want to make it all the time rather than buy it.  The recipe makes a decent amount, not too much, and I have never had a problem using it all up within a week.  I would not keep it for any longer than that.


It does use a raw egg, but if you are bothered about that you can use pasteurised egg or a coddled egg.  Personally I am not bothered.  I find our eggs are very safe today.  However, if you are worried about that, or you have an elderly person or a very young person in the home do try my method of coddling the egg first, and then just add it and proceed as per the recipe below.

To coddle an egg:
  • Bring a small pot of water to boiling. 
  • Set up an ice bath (lots of ice and cold water in a bowl). 
  • When water begins to boil, submerge whole egg into the pot for exactly 1-minute. 
  • Remove and immediately place in an ice bath for 1 to 2 minutes. 
  • Remove and use in place of raw egg.


I just use the juice of the lemon, but you can also add the zest for a really nice lemony touch, or even a clove of raw or roasted garlic for a garlic mayo.


You just put everything into the blender cup of your immersion blender. It is important that the liquid comes over the top of the blades of the blender, or it won't work properly.  I put the egg, lemon juice or vinegar, and mustard in first and then pour the oil in over top of those.  Let it sit for a few seconds.  Put the blender head in, reaching right to the bottom and turn it on.


Leave it for a few seconds and you will see it start to emulsify and creep up the sides of the container, then you can slowly life the blender up, tilting it now and then until you reach the top and the whole mixture has emulsified.  It won't take very long at all. 60 seconds if that.   You can then stir in any seasonings you want to use.  I sometimes use a mix of lemon juice and cider vinegar.  I don't always add sugar.  Real mayonnaise does not have sugar in it, but depending on what I am using it for, sometimes I do add a bit.


It always comes out perfectly thick, rich and beautiful, as you can see. Its also very easy to flavour it.  If you have some basil oil, or chili oil, you can substitute a bit of the regular oil with that. I would not use any more than a TBS of the flavoured oil.  I also don't use any oil other than a basic vegetable oil. I would never make it with extra virgin olive oil.  You want a flavourless light oil.  Only add other oils in a small quantity to add some flavour and nothing  more.


This is beautiful and such a simple thing to make. Once you try it you will never go back to store bought if you can possibly help it.  Trust me on this! 

Salad Cream

I also like to make my own Salad Cream.  It does require a bit more work than mayonnaise as it is cooked, but there is nothing like a homemade salad cream to use in a potato salad or a coleslaw.

Two Minute Mayonnaise


Yield: makes about 220g/ 1 cup
Author:
If you have a stick blender/immersion blender homemade mayonnaise is only a few minutes away.  You can also do it in a food processor or regular blender but it takes a tiny bit more effort.

ingredients:

  • 1 whole free range egg, or two egg yolks
  • 1 TBS fresh lemon juice
  • 1 tsp mustard powder (can also use Dijon mustard)
  • 240ml flavourless vegetable oil (1 cup)
  • 1/4 to 1/2 tsp fine sea salt
  • 1 tsp sugar (optional)
  • white pepper to taste

instructions:

How to cook Two Minute Mayonnaise

  1. Place the mustard, egg, sugar (if using) and lemon juice in the bottom of the blender container of your immersion blender.  Top with the oil.  Let sit for about 30 seconds.  Then put the wand/head of the immersion blender into the container, right to the bottom, and turn it on, lifting it slowly and tilting the head as the mayonnaise forms. Don't lift it up and down or pump it.  Season to taste with salt and pepper. I like white pepper as it doesn't colour the mayonnaise.  You can use cider vinegar instead of lemon juice.
  2. If you are using a regular blender or food processor.  Add everything to the bowl of the blender/processor and turn it on, drizzling the oil in slowly through the feeder tube until it thickens and emulsifies.
  3. Keep in a covered container in the refrigerator.
Created using The Recipes Generator



I used this to make cucumber sandwiches to take to Grace's Birthday Party.  I just spread medium thick slices of bread on both sides with the mayonnaise. You can see how nicely it spreads. Thick and not gloppy.  I like to cut my cucumber for it very thinly with a mandolin cutter, and than layer it as you can see. Its not as slippery when done that way. (You can also pat them dry with paper towels.) I seasoned them today just salt however as Ariana had requested just salt.  I personally like a bit of pepper as well. 



For a tea party I would cut off the crusts.  But for a child's birthday party, I just left the crusts on.  I also garnished them with some radish roses. 


Almost Instant Mayonnaise

I was going to tell you how to add different flavourings to your mayonnaise to dress up your sandwiches, salad plates, etc.  But I found a lovely Info graphic that does a wonderful job of  just that!


I broke it down into sections so that you could view it better and larger.  I hope you don't mind.



Some of them sound quite, quite delicious and I may give them a go!  After-all tis the season for such things!  I can see me serving the Sesame Ginger one with some lovely poached salmon



The Buffalo Cheese Mayo would be fabulous with chicken, and I think the Chipotle would be just wonderful on burgers, as would the Spicy Horseradish-Parmesan version! 
 



No matter how you choose to enjoy your mayonnaise, I think you will agree that once you have made your own and see how easy it is to do so, its something you will want to do often! 




This is the Immersion Blender that I have now.  It is a Cookhouse Model.  As with all of their products I am very impressed with it.  Its midway priced and performs impeccably.  Its easy to clean as well.  (I just immerse it in a cup of hot soapy water and blitz away!)  They did not send me a free one to use, or ask me to tell you about them.  I received it as an early Birthday Gift from a friend.  I quite simply wanted to share it with you because I am really happy with it and I think you would be too.  

Have a great day! 


Komentar

Postingan populer dari blog ini

Butter, Herb & Garlic Basted Steaks

  Its our 18th Wedding Anniversary on Sunday coming up.  Its hard to believe that we have already been married for that long.  My last marriage lasted for 22 years and that time seems to have taken so much longer to pass.  Those were the years I spent raising a family, so maybe that partially accounts for the time seeming longer.  These past 18 years seem to have flown by at the speed of light!    A special occasion such as an anniversary calls for a special meal and so I picked up these steaks at the shops a week or so back to do a test in preparation for our anniversary dinner. We don't eat a lot of red meat in our home, but we do enjoy a good steak every now and then.    In fact if it weren't for that fact, I could probably happily be a vegetarian, but  . . .  a good steak would always be calling my name, or a slice of prime rib . . .  or a fillet Mignon . . .    I used rib eye steaks.  Each about 1 inch in th...

Roasted Garlic & Herb Chicken with Melting Potatoes

   My latest article is now live on Chef Knives Expert.  You are going to really love this Roasted  Garlic & Herb Chicken with Melting Potatoes Recipe.  Not only does it all cook in one dish but it is fabulously tasty!   A whole free range, corn fed organic chicken, rubbed with butter and stuffed with butter, garlic and herbs is roasted on top of a flavourful bed of potatoes, garlic, stock and white wine  . . .   until the chicken is crisp skinned and succulent and the potatoes are meltingly tender.  So delicious!   You can go HERE for the recipe!  Tell them I sent you!  Roast chicken never tasted so good! 

Oven Fried Chicken with Chive & Buttermilk Mash

  Yes, you read that right . . .  OVEN Fried Chicken.  The eagle has landed and my oven is now up to scratch!  It took them long enough, right?  Not complaining, I am just happy its working again. I love my stove, and am not keen to start over with one I'm not familiar with.      My Canon and I are familiar friends . . .  partners in crime . . . we know each other well and are happy to keep it that way!  To celebrate it being up and running again, I thought I would make one of Todd's favourite dinners, Oven Fried Chicken  . . . . along with Chive & Buttermilk Mash!    He loves his mash.  He is a real mashed potato fiend and will eat them any way, any how, any time!  They are his preferred form of potato, even over chips! (Not me. I love chips/French fries!)   The chicken is a fairly simple and easy recipe, one which I have been making for years. No, it's probably not any healthier than oil fried chi...